February 9, 2015

Evolutionary purpose for personality and emotion?

Snow day!

Okay, so a snow day is really nothing special anymore.  In the 3 weeks since the semester began, we’ve had three snow days.  Such is life in the northeast.

This morning I have been studying my psychology textbook, preparing for a test.  Knowing that I would be getting an evolutionary perspective at my secular college, I went into this psychology class with a pretty vigilant mind.


For most of the first few classes, Green was dealing with the scientific method of forming a hypothesis, testing the hypothesis extensively, calling it a theory, etc., and the myriad of psychological perspectives, but last week she introduced us to the biology of the brain according to the theory of evolution.  She praised the makeup of the brain, telling us “The central core, with the most basic survival functions, is located in the middle, surrounded by the part of the brain, the cerebrum, which houses the personality, higher thought, emotion, and intellectual capabilities.  It is not an accident that the most crucial parts of the brain are protected within the cerebrum.”

Because of the snow days, she was trying to fit a lot of material into one day to keep up with the schedule, so I didn’t start this debate.  My one question was, “What's the evolutionary purpose for developing a personality and emotion at all?”

After an awkward silence, she replied, “That’s actually a really good question,” and explained how perhaps personality lent itself to higher social structures, but no one really knows for sure.  Even a perspective that denies faith in God relies so much on faith in the unknown...?

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I am so glad you are willing to stand up for Creation in a world where evolution is being taught.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judith. :) It is quite a battlefield...!

      Delete
  2. Great post, girl! I love seeing your stance in this battle and your willingness to fight for Christ and His View. Well done and keep it up! I pray you'll always have the strength and courage and words to stand up for Him.

    Thanks so much for keeping up with my blog, dearie! I love getting comments from fellow bloggers, and because of it, I've found yours!

    Looking forward to more posts!
    Blessings,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the encouraging comment, Sarah!! :)

      Delete
  3. there are so many things that makes me wonder how people couldn't believe there is a God, good to hear your giving her something to think about

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello dear Lauren! First, let me say thank you for linking up with Roses of Inspiration - I hope you join us again next Tuesday.

    And secondly, thank you for writing this article and standing up for what you believe in - that is refreshing! I am so thankful for the Lord and His beautiful creation! We are indeed created by an intelligent Designer - God. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie, I definitely will - I'm new to Blogger and love to have blogs like yours to read :) Peace!

      Delete
  5. Interesting to read your thoughts on this. It does seem crazy to believe in evolution for the purposes of... what? I love your question about personality. I've never thought about that! It's so true, though. :)
    Also, thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm glad you did. Your comment showed up as a "no-reply" blogger, so I couldn't email you back a response. If you want to know more about what that is and how to turn it off so people can reply to your comments, check out this post: http://www.venustrappedinmars.com/2013/06/google-ultimate-no-reply-blogger.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you so much for visiting! And thanks for the link - I can use all the blogging advice I can get! :) It seems so darn complicated sometimes.

      Delete
    2. Ahh thank you so much for visiting! And thanks for the link - I can use all the blogging advice I can get! :) It seems so darn complicated sometimes.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Keep thinking critically! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Alyssa! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete