February 13, 2015

He loves me.

I wanted to tell you a really small prayer that God answered for me this week.  God answering prayer is not anything unusual, obviously, but sometimes I throw out these really stupid requests: desires that have absolutely no eternal value and are usually kind of selfish and that I don’t really even think I should mention... but God sees my heart, so I laid it out at His feet, almost embarrassed.

Last week I got to thinking about Valentine’s Day, and I’m sure I'm not alone in feeling a little bit down about the whole holiday.  I can be prone to feeling sorry for myself when I let my mind go there, so I didn't want to be alone that day.  But what kind of plans does a single girl make for Valentine’s Day?  I mean I just planned on stocking up on chocolate, reading “Crazy Love” by Francis Chan, watching “The Princess Bride,” (maybe shedding a couple of self-pity tears, if we’re being honest here)… Nothing special.  I didn’t spend a whole lot of time praying about it, but it was on my heart, so I just kind of went really quickly “PleasegivemesomewayoutofbeingaloneonValentinesDay.”  Then I moved on.

A couple of days later, I got a Facebook message from a friend who is a few years older than me that I look up to.  I don’t see her often or even know her all that well, but she invited me to join her for a bonfire and a game night on February 14th at her home.  She doesn’t even know how awesome it is to me that I received that message.  Thank God for caring about little tiny me wandering woefully around with a little gray cloud above my head.  His love truly is beyond my understanding.  I will never be able to wrap my mind around it.


The weather is supposed to be bad that day and the whole thing might be called off, but what matters is this: I know I’m not going to be alone on Valentine’s Day.  Whether I spend the evening at with someone else or at home, God reminded me how much He loves me by answering my “stupid” prayer, and I know He is wrapping His arms around me.

“Pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests…” Ephesians 6:18

No comments:

Post a Comment