February 7, 2015

I'm not in charge.

“While you’re trying to figure it out, God is working it out.” It’s kind of a Christian-ese quote that I have heard my mom say a million times.  I think it is rooted in Romans 8:28: “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose,” meaning that as much as I stress and lose sleep over decisions about my future, God sees my whole life outside of time, and has it all in his hands.

When I sit and worry, I’m telling myself that I can’t trust God with my future.  What a horrible situation I’d be in if I was in charge of the course of my life.  Every decision would weigh so heavily on my wisdom, and I would wonder constantly if perhaps I was making the “wrong” decision.

But since I have given up my life for God to work through, I no longer have to wonder.  I know I’m not in charge, and I know that I’m not really the one making these life-changing decisions.  God works through all things.  When I face a decision about a college major, I’m not choosing between “God’s way” and “not God’s way” – I’m choosing a way, and God is working through that way to use for His purpose!  I am so comforted to know my life is not in my own hands.

Matthew 10:29-31: “Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.”

No comments:

Post a Comment