February 26, 2015

Mistakes(?)

A quick story about how I learned about what it means to make choices and live according to God's will:

A month or so after I graduated high school - after I'd already given my life to Jesus and decided to follow him - I began dating this cute, Christian guy I had known for years.  It seemed like everything was going well.  But nine months later, everything was flipped upside down and then it was over.  I felt like I wasn't good enough and went over and over the last few months in my head.

I thought I had screwed up by dating him in the first place.  Surely if it was in God's will, it wouldn't have ended like that, right?  Even though I thought for sure I had made a big mistake and was out of God’s will (as far as His plan for my life), I knew where to turn for comfort, wisdom, and peace:

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." - James 1:2-4

To be honest, the abstract concept of God using a crappy situation to make me mature and complete used to seem kind of horrible to me.  But now, going through these trials, I realized that I had learned so much.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” - Romans 8:28

I thought about all that had happened and realized that I have grown in different ways.  Not for one minute do I doubt that.  It was a learning experience for sure.  I know God could have used different circumstances to grow me, but that’s the whole point: He used these things to work out for my good!  I didn't waste my time.  I didn't step "out of God's will".  I am not capable of stalling God's work in my life...  Duh.

Only now looking back, a year since breaking up, I can see how God used that "season" of my life.  Paul says in 2 Corinthians 7:10, “Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret,” and I think that means that the sadness I experienced brought me to a better understanding of my faith and isn’t something to completely write off as a waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment