April 8, 2015

Dogs can't sit still for very long.

Right?  Dogs just don't have it in them to sit still.  Everyone knows this, I think.  It's one of their most endearing qualities as a species.  I love dogs.  If you ever need a model for gesture drawings, look no further than a dog.  The other day it was really nice outside, so I tied my dog, Mika, to a big tree with her super-long leash and let her enjoy the sunshine and smells and grass while I knocked out some sketches of her antics.


Forget 30 second gesture drawings or even 15 seconds - I don't think she stayed in the same pose for more than 3!  It was challenging, but it forced me to grab the most important details quickly; after she moved, I had to flesh it out a little more without the reference.  Quick drawings like these are important to practice.  It's easy to obsess over getting perfect shapes and outlines, but being all perfectionist like that is a really tough way to work.

6 comments:

  1. I have never really thought about that verse in Job. It's a good application of it.

    You are a great artist! I think about all I can draw in 30 seconds is the head of a stick figure. :)

    I have tried to use my dog in photography. She's actually easy to make sit still the problem is that she likes to "pose". Tipping her head elegantly away from the camera and laying back her ears she makes the most ridiculous looking model. And try as I might I can't convince her to do anything different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha, that's how my cats are - they are the worst for photographing! :)

      Delete
  2. I love sketches! They're so relaxed and effortless looking and yours are so good.
    And wow-what an interesting use of that verse...I've never thought of dogs like that before. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you; sketches are usually as far as I get, haha. I don't have patience to actually draw a complete picture, so I mess around with studies and scribbles most of the time. :)
      Right?! I was reading Job 12, and when Job was all annoyed at his friend like, "Guys, even the animals know that their lives are in God's hands!" it made me think of my dog.

      Delete
    2. I wish my sketches were as good as yours! I'll have to practice more. :)
      And haha, that's funny. I have 3 dogs so I can relate. :)

      Delete
  3. Fun sketches and good thoughts here! :D Mika looks like a sweet and happy pup.
    I love dogs too, especially my dachshund, Copper (who behaves more like a cat than a dog much of the time). He has been my subject for photography and drawing!

    ReplyDelete