May 1, 2015

This book review is for the guy who keeps yelling from the balcony.

Before I start into this review, I must tell you something that I am very ashamed to admit.  I watched the movie first.  I almost NEVER watch the movie adaption of a book until I've read it.  I firmly believe that in most cases, it is necessary to understand the author's intention before seeing the translation onto the big screen.

Wait, no, come back!  I'm really not That Person who will tell you "The book was way better than the movie!"  Okay, well, sometimes I'm That Person.  But not with every book and movie, because I'm about to tell you about a movie that was as good as - or better than - the book.

Scott Pilgrim is a series of graphic novels by Bryan Lee O'Malley.  I did not know this when I put the movie on.  I just loved Michael Cera in the show Arrested Development, so I found another movie with him in it called Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, and when the title card said "Based on the graphic novels by Bryan Lee O'Malley" I was like... Oops.

Anyway, spoiler: the movie was fantastic.

BUT I had to read the graphic novel to fully comprehend whether or not the movie was true to the nature of the book, so I bought Scott Pilgrim, Volume #1: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life on Amazon.  Not even a hard copy of it, just the Kindle version.  So impatient.

A few key points:

1.  This is a 6 volume series of graphic novels that was combined into a barely 2 hour long movie. Kudos for doing that!  (It's exactly the opposite of The Hobbit's franchise...)  For this reason alone, I appreciate the movie/books - it was a masterful, concise adaption.

2.  In this particular case, I recommend watching the movie first - it has all the best parts in it.  Then go into the graphic novels and see the details of the rest of the story.

3. I don't want to write a movie review, but UGH.  It was just such a great movie with wonderful comedic timing and the right amount of cheesy special effects and one-liners and it is so awfully quotable.  Bread makes you fat?

4.  I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of graphic novels or video games or rock band kind of stuff which is this book/movie in a nutshell, but I still loved it.  So I think I can safely say that this will surprise those of you who think it's not your kinda thing.  It's probably a universally awesome movie.
If not, prepare to die, obviously.

~

Nominated for this tag by Kelpie from C'est La Vie!
  1. You are in a parking lot and see a rough looking man drop a bag full of Coca~cola cans. They roll under cars, out into the road way and everywhere else imaginable. What would you do? (Not what should you do but what would you do?) I would get in my car and drive away.  #strangerdanger
  2. You are alone out riding your horse in the (uninhabited) mountains. A blizzard comes screaming through the trees and quickly engulfs you. What's your response? I would do that thing they did in Star Wars & turn my horse into a sleeping bag if I had the proper resources.  Or maybe die accidentally.
  3. Where would you rather be stranded during a bad storm: a bookstore, a restaurant, or an antique shop? I could spend all day in a bookstore, but realistically I would be at my job waitressing in an Italian restaurant.  So yeah I would hang out at my job and eat chicken parms for a few days.
  4. You may go to only one of these parties: a masked ball, a sock hop, or a sleep over with your best friend. Which do you chose? A sleep over... Not big on dancing or parties.
  5. You are told that if you swim from the mainland out to an island (a very long distance, longer than you have ever swum before) you will be given the wish of your dreams. Do you try or are you afraid of drowning? I don't think I could swim that far and even if I could, I wouldn't know what to wish for when I got there!  So no, I wouldn't try.  :)

4 comments:

  1. I've never read or seen Scott Pilgrim, but my brother did and would always quote "Bread makes you fat!?" so eventually I started to as well, haha. I find your book reviews interesting and am looking forward to your review on Silver Linings Play Book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha possibly as quotable as Napoleon Dynamite!

      Thanks for the encouragement! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for answering my questions Lauren! I enjoyed reading your answers but I pity your horse.

    Scott Pilgrim looks like an interesting book. I haven't ever read a graphic novel. Maybe I should try one soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha sorry, I'm not big on horses ;P

      I think you would like it! Fair warning for objectionable content, but I think the good outweighs the bad in this one.

      Delete