September 21, 2016

Reaching personal goals! ...And a setback :/

A photo posted by Lauren (@gymprotestor) on
^ Cheeky spon for my health & wellness Instagram account! :) ^

I went to the gym this morning and came back home feeling super pumped.  My personal challenge for September 11th through September 24th is twofold:
  1. Eat healthier (for me, this means passing up on my daily fast food stops & prepping fresh, balanced meals instead, as well as cutting out dairy and sugary drinks)
  2. Go to the gym 10 times
I told myself 2 weeks because that's an amount of time I can handle in my brain.  To stop drinking 2 coffees/lattes a day/eating breakfast sandwiches cold turkey, and to start going to the gym after years of inactivity, is a little intimidating, but I can push myself to try it.

A photo posted by Lauren (@gymprotestor) on

It's been going well! Today is day 11 of my challenge, and I am feeling fantastic.
  • After a few coffee-free days, I've stopped feeling that afternoon caffeine headache and I may have kicked the habit (fingers crossed!).
  • And, after week of delicious salads and sandwiches made with my favorite vegetables, granola bowls with fresh strawberries, and healthy snacks, I don't want to eat a greasy breakfast sandwich anymore.
  • Plus, the routine of going to the gym early in the morning makes me feel so good and energized for the rest of the day, which makes me tired at an appropriate time of the evening -> which makes it easier to fall asleep -> which makes it easier to get up -> which makes it easier to go to the gym early... And so on.

All this and I've had waaaaay fewer ~digestive discomforts~.  Heck yes.

My incentive to do this was, of course, to get into healthier habits and feel really great.  But I also decided my "prize" will be new running shoes when payday comes this Friday.  I didn't want to get ahead of myself and buy the shoes before completing the challenge, buuut I've done really great and I'll be away this weekend... So I wanted to get those shoes today.  I feel like I've earned it.  And my current sneakers are crap. :x

I drove to the gym this morning with no problem, but on my way to the mall a couple of hours later, my car overheated about 7 minutes away from my house.  I don't know what's going to happen or how serious any problems are, but it has thrown a monkey wrench into my week for sure.  It might be expensive (thank God I have saved up an emergency fund).  I'm going to have to mooch a ride to work.  I can't drive myself to the gym.

Fun.  Fun stuff.  But it's just a Thing and it's a Thing I can handle, haha.  Just a pain.

Other than that, I'm happy with my progress and hope this becomes my lifestyle.  It's right now that I should be forming good habits, when I'm young and pliable haha, not when I'm older and it'll be harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment