October 9, 2016

"All I can do is run"

Here's my pathetic attempt to make up for missing my first installment of "Food & Fitness Friday."  I guess the point of this segment is to talk about my progress and discoveries as far as health and exercise goes, so that's where I'll start!


This past week I surprised myself: I discovered I can now run for 10 minutes without stopping to walk.  I know that this is not an amazing feat of athleticism, but for me, it's huge!  It was difficult for me to run just 3 minutes when I first started a little over a month ago.  Now that I've more than tripled my running time, I feel confident that I can keep improving my time and distance until I can proudly call myself a "runner!"

Another big milestone for me was running outside in the real world, and not in Planet Fitness on a treadmill.  :)  There are definitely pros and cons to running on a treadmill.

Gym Treadmill Pros:
  • It's easy to keep a consistent pace
  • There is no wind/weather to contend with
  • There are no unforeseen obstacles


Gym Treadmill Cons:
  • It's monotonous
  • I literally feel like a hamster in a wheel
  • Sometimes another person will pick the treadmill right next to me
  • Sometimes that person will run faster than me
  • Sometimes that person will smell weird

I'm used to running on the treadmill now.  I used to get SUPER bored and had to watch YouTube videos for entertainment, but now I just put on a Spotify playlist and play games in my head to stay interested and pushing forward, like "I can keep running til the song ends."

But running outside is so wonderful on a nice day!  The fresh air, sunshine, changing leaves, and birds chirping makes it such a natural experience.  Sadly, as much as I try to simulate running outdoors by adjusting the treadmill incline to 1.5 or 2.0, it's still more tiring, and it's so hard to find the right pace and stay consistent.

I did alright, though.  I was able to do exactly what I've been doing on the treadmill, so I was happy with that.  I'll be running a 5k on the very same road, so it's good to get a feel for it now.

Here's a song by my favorite band that kind of goes along with this post!



No comments:

Post a Comment