October 5, 2016

September: Goals Review & Discoveries

Oh, it' is October.  When did that happen?

I'm honestly always super bummed out by summer turning into fall (as much as I like to think I'm an adaptable, spontaneous person, I've learned I am pretty resistant to change).  To help myself transition, rather than become sad and wish it was still summer, I've learned to embrace the changing of seasons a little better by going into all-out autumn mode once September 22nd arrives!

I pulled out all my sweaters from the top shelf of my closet, sorted through summer clothes and pared down my wardrobe... I added a fun fall twist to my room's decor... I am appreciating the gorgeous foliage while its at its peak autumn colors (upstate NY is the place to be this time of year!)... I'm going to soccer games while it's still nice out... I am partaking in quintessential fall activities, like visiting a pick-your-own orchard, making an apple crisp, and drinking a salted caramel latte.

I'm a low-key fan of autumn now, I guess.  Once I learned to embrace change a little more I found myself a lot happier.

ANYWAY.  September goals.  I had a few of them.  Let's see how I did:



September Goals 2016

General

  • Pick up more days at work.  I was able to fill in twice for coworkers, but other than that I wasn't able to pick up as many days as I hoped I could.  In the summer we're always switching around and substituting, but now that vacations are over and stuff, I guess we're all settled back into our regular schedules.
  • Save and tithe more/spend less.  This was a HUGE fail.  I spent pretty much as much as I made this month.
  • Take more walks.  I far surpassed my goal here: I joined a gym and have walked/ran on the treadmill at least 3 times a week!  I'm very proud of myself for sticking to it so far.
  • Practice ukulele more. I learned a couple of new Dodie Clark songs and began a little structured practice through the Yousician app.  So this was alright.
  • Finish HTML/CSS course on CodeAcademy. I kind of let this peter out... Not a win.

Specific

  • Complete website for my mom's homeschool sports organization.  I canceled this one.
  • Apply for an online college.  I didn't do this.
  • Get involved with a ministry. I tried!  My church announced a need for volunteers in a couple of areas and I made an effort to contact the office so I could get involved, but I haven't gotten a response back.  I hope to follow up soon.
  • Make an appointment for a new fall haircut.  Check!  I like it.
  • Take inventory of fall/winter clothes and go shopping for what I'm missing.  I went through my clothes the first day of fall and switched out seasonal clothing, and found out what I needed.  My list was 1) A high-quality fall jacket, 2) Tall black boots, 3) A couple of pull over sweaters, 4) New slippers.  I got a beautiful burnt sienna-colored fall jacket that I am SO happy with, but other than that the only money I spent on clothes was a few gym outfits and fancy new running shoes.



So I mean, this month went alright I think as far as the goals I set.  But the month was definitely a win in other ways that aren't reflected by this list.

Other September Events/Discoveries


Personal


  • I completed my two-week gym/healthy eating challenge!  I loosened up on it a little bit, but I am spending almost nothing on fast food (a couple of iced coffees a week) and I am learning how to meal plan/grocery shop.
  • I tried to be less hermit-y lol: I went to a Labor Day bonfire at my sister's friend's house and had fun playing volleyball and enjoying a little jam session, I went to Community Day in the village I work in (and caught a runaway dog! Exciting times), I went to a couple of soccer games (trying to spend time outside while it's nice out), and I visited my brother at college in PA overnight (an ordeal for me since I am anxious during long car rides due to anxiety BUT it was a good time seeing him).
  • My car broke down a few miles from home... Not fun but an experience I can say I've had.  I am thankful that God gave me peace when it happened and I was just chillin right off the road rather than being an anxious mess.
  • I actually met someone new this month - it's kind of crazy, but in my routine I don't meet a lot of new people, especially people my age.  The fact that I am adding this to a list of Things That Happened shows you how pathetic my social life is.  ;)
  • We put our family dog in a kennel for a few days while we were away visiting my brother at college.  It was traumatizing for her and for us - she is spoiled and it was SO HARD to leave her there.  NEVER AGAIN.

Music

  • Air for Free by Relient K came out this summer, but I only discovered it at the end of August.  Relient K is one of only a couple of artists I am loyal to (I usually appreciate music on a strictly song-by-song basis lol) and I was a little thrown off by their 2013 album Collapsible Lung, so to listen to Air for Free all the way through once... And then again... And then again and again and enjoy it every single time was such a great experience!
  • I also discovered the Christian "WORKOUT" Spotify playlist.  Yaaaasss.

Other Media

  • I watched Stranger Things.  I was a little late to the party by getting into this show a couple of months after it was released on Netflix.  But I am always excited to find a new TV show that I can binge watch.  In fact, I loved it so much that I introduced my family to it, and we've been watching it every night this past week.  We're all hooked.  I especially like it as a way to kind of get into the spooky mood even though I don't celebrate Halloween and I don't watch horror movies - binge watching Stranger Things is as festive as I'll get this month lol.
  • I played Tuber Simulator.  This is PewDiePie's new game and I'm slightly addicted to it right now.  That's a huge feat, since I don't usually care for iPhone games. (Add me if you play too: my username is saxonprotestor)



It's a beautiful day and I'm not trying to waste it indoors, so bye for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment